Head of Financial Intelligence Unit, CalibraLegal, Finance, Facilities & Admin | Menlo Park, CA
About CalibraIn June 2019, the Libra Association announced plans for Libra – a new global cryptocurrency that runs on the Libra network. Libra's mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. It's powered by blockchain technology and the plan is to launch it in 2020.
Calibra is a newly formed Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services that will enable people to access and participate in the Libra network. Our first product will be a digital wallet for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology, and it will be available in 2020 in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. Our vision is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives. Calibra will let you send Libra to almost anyone with a smartphone, as easily and instantly as you might send a text message or photo, and at low to no cost. And, in time, we plan to offer additional services for people and businesses, such as paying bills with the push of a button, buying a cup of coffee with the scan of a code, or riding your local public transit without needing to carry cash or a metro pass.
We’re still early in the process of developing Calibra, and are looking for talented, passionate, mission-driven people to join our team so we can build a future together that empowers billions of people around the world.
Our team is looking for the Head of Calibra’s Financial Intelligence Unit (“FIU”). In this leadership role, you will be responsible for designing and operating Calibra’s financial intelligence gathering, monitoring and response program. The program will include all financial crimes related to money laundering and terrorist financing. You will be responsible for creating and managing a highly effective program that demonstrates compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. The right candidate will demonstrate excellent regulatory, process and systems design, communication, time management, data analytics, presentation and change agility abilities.
- Work closely with the Compliance, Product, Legal and other cross-functional teams to understand the product, identify potential monitoring scenarios
- Lead the design and implementation of the entire FIU framework and system for our business
- Serve as a main point of contact for Compliance with Product, Engineering, Legal and other key stakeholders and partners with respect to technology projects and other initiatives impacting the FIU
- Monitor AML industry developments, including red flags and best practices and maintain advanced knowledge of new and amended laws and regulations impacting the FIU, and ensure processes are in place to keep the FIU team updated on such developments
- Proactively analyze trends and patterns in alerts for AML and other parts of Compliance, and effectively design advanced analytic tools enterprise wide
- Create a program for the querying and mining of large data sets to discover transaction patterns, examine financial data and filter for targeted information using traditional as well as predictive/advanced analytic methodologies
- Ensure that all analysis is completed in a timely and efficient manner, while maintaining the highest standards for regulatory and compliance requirements
- Recommend enhancements to key components of the Transaction Monitoring System as required
- Develop, maintain and review the FIU’s policies, procedures and processes to ensure compliance with applicable internal, legal and regulatory standards
- Be responsible for coordinating with AML coverage managers on the escalation and reporting of suspicious transactions pursuant to regulatory obligations
- Support the AML Program through production of key performance indicators (metrics) and other reporting
- Conduct internal and external investigations of money laundering and other financial crimes both alone and in collaboration with other internal stakeholders and outside counsel
- Be capable of assessing and developing individual and team skills and providing timely constructive feedback
- Minimum 10 years of experience within law enforcement or government agency with expertise in financial crimes
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Compliance, with a specialty in BSA/AML related FIU monitoring
- Experience in AML & sanctions regulatory environment including familiarity with various federal and global regulators
- Possess leadership qualities with experience in managing both small and large teams, and demonstrate a work ethic as well as a high degree of integrity
- Knowledge of red flag indicators and typologies used in online, mobile and blockchain-based environments
- Experience working hands-on with other cross-functional team leaders, such as lawyers, engineers, product managers, data analysts, operations analysts in improving compliance processes and systems
- Experience with blockchain/virtual currency, emerging financial technology, and other financial services environments
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) certification
- Experience in mix of government/regulatory, and financial services/technology industries
- Experience in data analysis and metrics