Calibra Software Engineer, AndroidSoftware Engineering | Menlo Park, CA
About CalibraIn June 2019, the Libra Association announced plans for Libra – a new global cryptocurrency that runs on the Libra network. Libra's mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. It's powered by blockchain technology and the plan is to launch it in 2020.
Calibra is a newly formed Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services that will enable people to access and participate in the Libra network. Our first product will be a digital wallet for Libra, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology, and it will be available in 2020 in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. Our vision is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives. Calibra will let you send Libra to almost anyone with a smartphone, as easily and instantly as you might send a text message or photo, and at low to no cost. And, in time, we plan to offer additional services for people and businesses, such as paying bills with the push of a button, buying a cup of coffee with the scan of a code, or riding your local public transit without needing to carry cash or a metro pass.
We’re still early in the process of developing Calibra, and are looking for talented, passionate, mission-driven people to join our team so we can build a future together that empowers billions of people around the world.
The Calibra engineering team is seeking Android engineers with strong experience developing user-facing applications using Android SDK. The ideal candidate should have relevant experience building both user interfaces and application infrastructure. They should be comfortable working in a brand new codebase and helping to establish best practices and coding standards. Additionally, previous experience on payment- or finance-related applications or customer onboarding is a bonus.
- Work closely with our product and design teams to customize the Calibra experience for the Android platform
- Prototype new features and improve existing features
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing mobile products
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or 2+ years in software development experience
- 2+ years of object-oriented software development experience
- 2+ years of experience building Android applications in Java using Android SDK
- 2+ years mobile application development experience (Android, J2ME or Blackberry)
- Experience with Java associated frameworks
- Experience with multi-threading and memory management specific to mobile devices
- Experience coding with application size in mind
- Experience partnering with designers to implement designs
- Knowledge with Android UI design principles and accessibility best practices